The Disability Service at MMU



University brings about a lot of change for all students and this includes having to be familiar with the different names for support services.  At Manchester Met, if you have a long term mental health condition, sensory impairment, condition on the Autistic Spectrum, physical condition, Specific Learning Difficulty such as Dyslexia or a long term health condition such as Epilepsy then we advise you to contact the Disability Service for advice on support.  The following blog is a guide to answer some of your queries, but the main advice we want to share, is please contact our service so we can help you with your questions.

Are you based in Manchester and Cheshire?

Yes, the service is based at both campuses.  In Manchester, the service is based in the Employability Hub on the ground floor of the Business School.  At Cheshire, queries can be directed to the Student Hub in the Laurence Building.

I don’t think my condition is classed as a disability, but I’ve always had support in place for things like exam adjustments

Although not all students identify with the term disabled, this is the terminology used in the Equality Act 2010.  In legal terms, the term disabled covers a wide range of conditions including: Specific Learning Difficulties such as Dyslexia, long term significant mental health conditions, physical disabilities, sensory impairments, autistic spectrum conditions and long term health conditions such as epilepsy.  If you are not sure, please contact the service, and an adviser can talk to you about your situation and provide more tailored advice.

Help! I have always had support in place before, but I don’t know where to start or who to talk to

The Disability Service offers a drop in service Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm in Manchester offering telephone (0161 247 3491), email ( ) and face-to-face advice to students.  You don’t need to book an appointment to speak to the adviser and we are open throughout the summer period with the exception of bank holidays.

The first step in accessing support is to ensure you have told the university, commonly referred to as disclosure, about your condition.  You will have had the opportunity to tell the university about your condition when you applied through UCAS or a direct application.  The Disability Service sends out prospective student packs via email and post with information about how to access the service.  If you have not received this yet, please contact us using the details above and we can send out further copies of the information.

I’ve indicated on my application for student funding that I have a disability.  Now I have been sent a form by my funding body, is this all I need to complete to access support at university?

Funding bodies, such as Student Finance England, have a grant called Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). Eligible students can apply for DSA to request support with disability related study costs they incur, that are over and above the support the university is able to reasonably provide. As DSAs is administer by an organisation separate to the university, you will still need to contact the Disability Service and provide a disclosure form and suitable evidence. This is so we can identify reasonable adjustments for the study and assessment environment and ensure teaching staff are aware of your support needs


Where can I get a copy of a disclosure form?

You can access a disclosure form online at the Disability Service web site –


I’m not sure what evidence I need to provide, what can I do?

The Disability Service has two guides for students to explain the requirements for medical evidence.  Both guides can be accessed here:

What documents do I need to send to the Disability Service to access support?

You will need to provide a disclosure form and suitable medical evidence.  You can send these documents to the service by email to or by post (address is on the disclosure form).  Students that are based near our campuses in Manchester or Crewe can also submit the evidence in person.

What happens after I submit the relevant documents?

You will be invited to an appointment with an adviser to discuss reasonable adjustments for your course.  Reasonable adjustments is the term used to describe the recommendations the adviser will make for the different learning and assessment environment on your course.  The adviser can also give you advice about Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) and other support services in the university such as Student Support Officers and Counselling, Health and Wellbeing.

Students receive a copy of the report requesting adjustments and the report is also given to staff involved in your teaching and learning so they know about your recommended support.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s